Homemade Chai Latte Recipe


I am not a coffee drinker, so when I say that I'm going out for 'coffee', I am actually going out for a chai latte. A few months ago we went up north to visit my cousin, and she made us homemade chai. It was delicious, and as I don't like sweet chai we could make it as spicy as we wanted. 

Making homemade chai take a little trial & error as you tweak it to suit your tastes. My cousins recipe is below, and it is goooood!

CHAI LATTE

1 1/2 cups of soy milk & water mixed together - roughly 3/4 soy, 1/4 water.
1/4 tspn honey or agave
1 tea bag, or 1 tblspn loose tea leaves
2 whole cardamom pods
3 whole peppercorns
1/4 tspn fresh grated ginger*
3 whole cinnamon quills

Crush the cardamom, peppercorns and one of the cinnamon quills with a mortar & pestle.

Combine all ingredients in a pot and bring to the almost boil. Let the chai steep for approximately 20 minutes, and then re-heat to return to desired drinking temperature.

Pour into a mug using a sieve to catch the spices.

Drink, and enjoy!

* You don't want to overdo the fresh ginger as it can leave a funny aftertaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment