the nursery | before & after

The nursery was the first room we redecorated in our house. I was almost 6 months pregnant when we moved in, so wanted to make sure this room was ready for the arrival of bubs.


BEFORE | North facing, this room is one of the sunniest in the house. However the maroon wallpaper, charcoal coloured carpet & brown curtains made it so dark. One morning I was standing in the room with my mum, talking about a plan of attack, when she lifted a corner of wallpaper and started pulling... within an hour the room was completely stripped!



DURING | Initially I wanted to paint the walls, but as the gib was quite rough we decided that wallpaper would be the easiest, and least expensive option. It took me a long time to settle on a paper as I wanted something really plain. In the end I bought an end of line wallpaper from the Vision 'White & Neutrals'  range, from Guthrie Bowron.
We sanded, primed, and top coated the ceiling, architraves, skirting boards and window ledges and spent a day wallpapering with the help of my parents. I was in charge of pasting, and Duncan became the master hanger - which was fun for the first few drops and then got boring, and at times, frustrating. Once the room was papered it looked like it belonged to an entirely different house.


AFTER | I shudder in horror when I see the 'before' photos above.

I had a clear vison of how I wanted the nursery to look - light & colourful with a touch of scandi - and spent hours on Pinterest finding inspiration. I think the end result ticks all of these boxes.
I would say that the nursery is currently 90% complete. I am still on the hunt for some hanging shelves, a planter & prints, as well as a little bookshelf for under the window. I also have plans for the inside of the wardrobe.
This was such a fun project, and is so different to the nurseries of other babies that I know. One friend loved mine so much, she asked me to email through some ideas for her nursery. She suggested I should charge her for my time too!

Interest to know where did I bought my nursery stuff from? Click the links below ~
Top left image -
Cot
Polka dot wall decals
Light shade
Themis mobile

Top right image -
Pear Print
Change table
Needle & I Garland

Bottom left image
'You are my Sunshine' decal
Floral print (I would love to own an original! I found this image online and printed it off for the frame)
Frame

Bottom right image -
Felt ball garland
Apple print
Moccasins




No comments:

Post a Comment